You have just received a fabulous (or perhaps not so fabulous) gift for your recent wedding, Bat Mitzvah, sweet 16 or graduation party….now it’s time to write the the thank-you notes! Whether the gift was business or personal, time, talent or money, it must be acknowledged – promptly! Here are a few tips for writing the perfect thank-you note!
- Write your note on the day that the gift is given…this will prevent the dreaded pile-up. However, if you are playing catch up, commit to writing 5 notes each day until they are complete. Generally, a note should be written within a week and certainly no longer than one month after having received the gift.
- No matter how tech-savvy you are, do NOT write a thank-you note via email…it is inappropriate.
- Always reference the gift and thank the giver for the thought behind it
- Mention the gifts usefulness
- Express the hope for a future meeting
- Keep the note short
- Make sure that the note is hand-written
- Be yourself when writing
- Use great-looking stationery…make your note a gift to the gift-giver!!